Director of Major GiftsCompany: Jacksonville University
Date Posted: January 23, 2018
- Works to support the overall Major Gifts efforts of University Advancement.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit major gift prospects.
- Will work as University Advancement Liaison to the College of Arts and Sciences, the Marine Science Research Institute, Sailing and the Library.
- Will have the capacity to accomplish a variety of tasks while working in stressful environment and with minimal supervision.
- Expected to work directly and collaboratively with faculty and staff, as well as colleagues in the advancement office,
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief of University Advancement and/or the President of the University.
- The Director of Major Gifts reports to the Senior Director of Development, who reports to the Chief Advancement Officer, who reports to the Senior Vice President University Relations and Development and the President of the University.
- University Advancement encompasses all University fundraising activity, Information/Donor Services, and stewardship events, as well as a close working relationship with Alumni Relations and the Alumni Association.
Description of Essential Job Duties:
- Will manage a portfolio of major gift prospects, devising appropriate cultivation and solicitation strategies for each.
- Will maintain a schedule of 240 visits, 120 discovery calls and 20 formal solicitations presented per year.
- Travel will be required.
Written evaluations will be done twice a year by the Senior Director of Development and will be provided to the Director of Major Gifts.
- Areas of evaluation:
- Documented number of visits, meetings, contacts, and reports with donor prospects.
- Successful completion of documented commitments from donors.
- Level of cooperation with other staff and administrators.
- Demonstration of a positive attitude within the work environment.
- Work is primarily indoors, but requires the incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when traveling between campus buildings or being off-campus.
- Standard office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Out-of-town travel expected as well as occasional attendance at evening and weekend events
- Manual dexterity to efficiently operate a computer keyboard and other business machines
- Near vision sufficient to read written communications and computer display screens
- Adequate hearing to communicate effectively in person and by phone
Prerequisites Required for Position:
- Minimum Education Requirement:
- Bachelor’s Degree, required
- Master’s Degree, preferred
2. Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience as a major gifts officer in Higher Education
- Experience in fundraising, 10 years preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in drafting/creating comprehensive gift proposal documents.
- Experience in effectively using Raisers’ Edge
- Self-motivated work style
- Ability to multi-task
- Available to travel upon request
Applicants should send relevant materials to Sharon Getz at email@example.com.